Sunday, December 2, 2012

chores and more chores

Nothing much to post about.  Winter is coming and we've been getting ready for it, giving the yard a bit of a final clean up before everything gets buried under the snow.  Today we all worked on cutting up the prunings from our apple trees for tinder/kindling.  We heat primarily with a wood stove and having small dry sticks and twigs makes it so much easier to get a fire started or rekindled from a few embers.  The prunings are from last winter/spring when Sam topped a few of the trees to head back their growth and encourage more branching.  By now most were so dry that they snapped easily.  I filled two chicken feed bags with small sticks and stashed 'em in the wood shed.  It was a pleasure to work outside; considering it's December, the weather was mild and we all took breaks to play with Skipper from time to time. 

I've also spent the past couple of weeks working on the bottom part of a hutch that once belonged to my mom.  I went with her to pick it out.  It was unfinished, so we stained and finished it together.  This was back in the early eighties.  My brother and his wife got it--I think when Mom moved to California--and painted it white.  They gave it to us a few years back, but we didn't have room for it at the time and it languished in our wood shed.  But I recently decided I wanted it in the house.  So we made room (at least for the bottom half) and I stripped the piece as best as I was able and re-painted it.  I used a milk paint, which is unlike any paint I've used before.  It's a completely flat finish and has a kind of timeless look to it, I think.

So I got that done--and then Sam asked when I was going to do the top!  I just stared blankly at him; I'd thought we were only going to use the bottom half as a kind of sideboard.  Guess what I'm going to be spending some time doing in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment